Ethnicity in education
Two big themes in discussions of ethnicity in education are: how well do ethnic minority pupils achieve in schools, particularly relative to the majority group? And, to what extent are these pupils segregated in largely mono-ethnic schools?
We have been analysing ethnic segregation in schools in England for a decade now, and produced the first national results for England. That work continues. We were also the first to show nationally the high average levels of attainment and progress that most ethnic minority groups make in England. That work lies behind my recent research on the 'London Effect' in secondary schools, which is also an on-going project.
These links are to the Discussion Paper versions of the papers; these are freely available to everyone. Many of the papers are also published in scientific journals but those are often restricted access.
- Motivated to Succeed? Attitudes to Education among Native and Immigrant Pupils in England (2018)
- The Long-Term Outcomes of Refugees: Tracking the Progress of the East African Asians (2018)
- Inter-ethnic Relations of Teenagers in England’s Schools: the Role of School and Neighbourhood Ethnic Composition (2018)
- ‘Understanding the success of London's schools’ (2014)
- 'Test Scores, Subjective Assessment and Stereotyping of Ethnic Minorities' (2009)
- 'More Reliable Inference for Segregation Indices' (2009)
- 'Segregation and the Attainment of Minority Ethnic Pupils in England' (2008)
- '‘Sleep-Walking Towards Segregation’? The Changing Ethnic Composition of English Schools, 1997-2003 – an Entry Cohort Analysis' (2006)
- 'School and Residential Ethnic Segregation: An Analysis of Variations across England's Local Education Authorities' (2006)
- 'Ethnic segregation and educational performance at secondary school in Bradford and Leicester' (2006)
- 'The Dynamics of School Attainment of England's Ethnic Minorities' (2005)
- 'Parallel lives? Ethnic segregation in the playground and the neighbourhood' (2004)
- 'School segregation in multi-ethnic England' (2003)
- 'Ethnic Segregation in England's Schools' (2003)
These links are to short (-ish) blog posts written to highlight interesting findings or to comment on education policy.
- Motivated to succeed? Attitudes to education among native and immigrant pupils in England (2018)
- Integrating the next generation: how school composition affects inter-ethnic attitudes (2018)
- Revisiting changes in ethnic segregation in England’s schools (2016)
- Celebrating the GCSE Performance of the “Children of Immigrants” (2016)
- London, ethnicity and GCSEs: Response … and a question for you (2014)
- London schools: the central role of ethnicity (2014)
- Who is Aiming High?